Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

My first week as a new mom


They are not kidding when they say time does fly. I can't believe it has already been a week since Joey was born. In the first week I have learned something new almost everyday. In just the first two days while we were still at the hospital we learned something from almost everyone we came in contact with. Even as much as you read before the baby is born and as prepared as you think you are nothing prepares you for actually becoming a mom.

Just in the recovery for yourself after delivery is very difficult. While everyone has a different experience with their delivery and recovery, every new mom does have a recovery to deal with while also handling a newborn. I have had a little more than normal of a difficult time this week because of my delivery (remember he was 8lbs. 12 oz.) Each day gets better, but unless you have had a child you don't understand what it really does to your body. I have learned you have to take time to take care of yourself, especially in that first week. You can not move as fast and you can not do everything. I am so lucky to have a husband that is so helpful. He has been amazing with our son and with me. I will be glad when I feel more back to normal and can move around more quickly.

My mom has also been very helpful this week. Just coming over to help with little things because Christian had to go back to work. I was even able to take a nice nap one day while she took care of feeding, changing etc...

We are lucky so far to have a baby that eats and sleeps very well. He had just a little bit of jaundice that we have since gotten rid of. You never realize your day would consist of tracking when baby eats and poops.

In my first week:
  • I made it through the hard part. Labor is over, Joey is here and now I am on the road to recovery
  • I have cried over silly things. They say every new mom gets the "baby blues". We had to take Joey to his first Dr. appointment 3 days after he was born. Needless to say I did not feel like going anywhere and I started crying because I couldn't figure out what to wear, that would be comfortable but not look like I was still in my PJ's. That car ride was no picnic either.
  • I know I have taken at least one picture everyday (several on some days) and it is amazing how much they change everyday.
  • I have become a master diaper changer.
  • I have gotten spit up on, peed on and pooped on.
  • I can make and wash bottles super quick.
  • I have learned that getting 4 hours of sleep in a row is a lot.
  • I have starred at my new baby boy long after he has fallen asleep in my arms.

So with one week down and a lifetime to go, we have already created so many memories. I cant wait to create so many more...

No comments:

Post a Comment